Australia & South Pacific Dog Travel Forum

This topic was posted in the Australia & South Pacific Forum on June 16, 2015 5:09 a.m.. If you can help with this question about Australia & South Pacific, please post a reply. If you’re travelling to Australia & the South Pacific yourself, you can also get discounted rates on pet friendly hotels in Australia & the South Pacific here.

New pet owner who wants to travel with her dog Daisy

Hiya all

I am new to NZ and also a new pet owner and I love travelling but want to travel with my new addition to my little family. How do you guys do it when it comes to car transportation? She's still too young to be left alone in the car at the back while I am driving. She is still potty training. And she gets upset when I leave her there. It has become quite traumatic for both of us.

Originally posted by Natalie from Dunedin, NZ
June 16, 2015 5:09 a.m.

Replies

Road Trip with Fido

It's great to hear that you want to include your new pup in your travels! There are a few tips we have that make driving with Fido easier. Before a road trip, you’ll want to exercise your dog so your pup can rest while in transit. Keep your dog hydrated and plan to make appropriate stops so your pooch can stretch his legs. In the car, be sure your dog will not distract the driver. One way to do this is by crating Fido or restraining him to the back seat. I use a hammock-like seat cover that prevents my pup from climbing up front, but with a puppy a crate might be best. Make sure to bring vaccination records. Also, check that your dog has proper identification with a contact number where you can be reached en route. Bring familiar toys from home to comfort your furry companion. If this doesn't work, maybe keep a "special" toy they your puppy only gets on road trips. He/She will make good associations with the toy and then know what to expect on the next road trip. Good Luck & Happy Travels!

Posted by Becca from Greenville, SC, US
June 18, 2015 5:19 a.m.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using BringFido, you agree to our privacy policy.